Saturday 16 June 2007

Wooden Ships


Breakfast over I returned to the recruitment office, this time however the place was quite busy, any confidence I had when walking through the door suddenly left me and the thought of spending the next few hours with total strangers knotted my stomach.
It wasn't long until we had explained to us the plan for the morning, now the knot felt bigger but at least we moved from the reception area where eye contact with anyone felt painful.The first stop was a classroom were we had various tests to decide if we would be joining at all and what branch we could join, I wanted to be a shipwright like my dad, I said this to one of the staff, he laughed and said we don't have wooden ships anymore, I felt a blanket of embarrassment come over me and after that I didn't really know what I wanted to be and thought it would be safest to remain "shtumm".

No comments: