Saturday 16 June 2007

Press ganged


I joined the Royal Navy at the age of sixteen, why? I don't know, I really wanted to be a joiner.
There was no apprenticeships at the time for joiners, I asked for several jobs at local workshops however it was the start of the age of flat pack furniture, and spotty , long haired kids were seen as unemployable. It's funny I now look at the young adults today with there multiple piercings and drab fashions and think, well, nothing has changed, it's the perception of fuddy duddys like myself that hold back the strengths and confidences of the next generation.

I got an appointment at the RN Recruitment office in Edinburgh I turned up at the appointed time to be given £1.30 to go and get my breakfast at the local cafe, the Full Monty only cost 64p I was dead chuffed, well you would be, I think it was a good ploy to get you to sign on the dotted line. The modern day equivalent of taking the queens shilling.

No comments: