Wednesday 20 June 2007

Wooden Hut for a home



The place was huge, I wondered how long it would take me to find my way around, I needn’t have worried, I was soon to find out that team work is just one way of saying conjoined.
It wasn’t long before we arrived at our accommodation, not the futuristic buildings that I seen on the way in, no, this was wooden buildings that were recognisable as the same type that were so popular in the “Great Escape”.

We were offloaded from the bus and directed into our hut with the same precision as at the train station, the hut was larger inside than I had imagined, table at one end and the bunk beds laid down the walls, a small locker for clothing and personnel items and a sign on the wall that said, "HEADS"

I think it was really the first time that I really took notice of the people I was going to spend the next sixteen weeks with. They were all shapes and sizes but the most unnerving thing was they were all "Weegies" well all except one and that poor bugger was from London.

It was like being in a foreign country, I did however manage to understand the occasional word, my education allowed me to place the correct word instead of the expletives although on occasion I was stumped for an alternative.

The day seemed to go quickly as we were transferred from one meeting to another and then lecture to lecture, overhead projection was a new teaching aid at the time, and it was used by everyone in there enthusiasm give endless amounts of information.

Dinner was fantastic more choices than you could imagine and as much as you liked, it was obvious we were the new guys, everyone else had been shorne of their hair and were in identical dress.

We were allowed a good break for our lunch but everyone else seamed to be working to a tight schedule and they were scoffing there food down. The noise was deafining as probably two or even three hundred people were eating and talking all at the same time.

That was pretty much the way the first day carried on, Bed time was early and I could remember crying as I fell asleep, homesick I suppose, or maybe I was unsure if this was really a mistake, but I didn't want to be seen to have fell at the first hurdle.

The use of the term "head" to refer to a ship's toilet dates to at least as early as 1708, "Head" in a nautical sense referring to the bow or fore part of a ship dates to 1485. The ship's toilet was typically placed at the head of the ship near the base of the bowsprit, where splashing water served to naturally clean the toilet area.

No comments: